City, state impose emergency conditions.
NORWALK , Conn. – A snow emergency went into effect at noon, Monday, Jan. 26.
All vehicles should be removed from streets. In order to assist drivers in this, the Norwalk Parking Authority is offering free parking during a declared snow emergency at the Maritime Garage and at the Yankee Doodle Garage. You may park at these two facilities for free during the snow emergency declared by Mayor Harry Rilling until the emergency is lifted or ends. Parking at all open parking lots is prohibited between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. to allow for snow plowing services.
In accordance with City Code:
- No vehicle shall park or otherwise remain standing upon any snow emergency route when there is present an accumulation of two or more inches of snow or ice for a period of one hour or more between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m. of any day.
- A declared snow emergency shall remain in effect until terminated by announcement of the Mayor.
- No person shall park a vehicle or otherwise allow a vehicle to stand upon any portion of a snow emergency route. No person shall park a vehicle or otherwise allow a vehicle to stand upon any street in such a manner as to constitute a hazard or obstruction to vehicular or pedestrian traffic or to hamper and interfere with the work of removing or plowing snow or removal of ice.
- Vehicles in violation of these restrictions may be ticketed and/or towed at owner expense.
There will be no garbage and recycling collection services on Tuesday or Wednesday, Jan. 27 or 28. Garbage and recycling collection services with follow the below schedule for the remainder of the week:
- Tuesday pickup of garbage and recycling will be on Thursday
- Wednesday pick up will be on Friday
- Thursday pick up will be on Saturday
- Friday pick up will be on Sunday
The Norwalk Transfer Station, located at 61 Crescent St., will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
For more information on these services, please visit the Norwalk website or contact the Customer Service Center at (203) 854-3200.
City Hall and libraries are closed to the public effective 2 p.m. today and all day Tuesday. Non-essential personnel should not report to work on Tuesday. Schools and all school offices will be closed Tuesday. Check back on Tuesday to get update on status of School on Wednesday.
The Norwalk Transit District is suspending operations today at 8 p.m. until further notice.
Also, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy has declared a State of Emergency in preparation for the coming blizzard, which is anticipated to heavily impact the state tonight through Tuesday. In addition, the governor announced that a travel ban for all roads is in effect beginning at 9 p.m.
To add your contact information to the Notify Norwalk database, please visit CodeRed, a community notification enrollment service provided by the Emergency Communications Network (ECN).