Moccia says he’ll ‘stay and fight,’ run for mayor again

Norwalk Mayor Moccia runns again 028-20130205

Norwalk Mayor Richard Moccia announces his intention to run for re-election Tuesday at the Norwalk Inn.

Updated, 2:15 a.m. Wednesday.

NORWALK, Conn. – Norwalk Mayor Richard Moccia says the personal attacks won’t stop him — he’s seeking re-election in 2013.

“This year has been a tough row to hoe,” the mayor said at about 6:15 p.m. at the Norwalk Inn, referring to discord at council meetings. “… I thought about saying, ‘maybe it’s time not to seek re-election, to battle and fight for Norwalk and leave it in shape without the rigors of a campaign.’”

Moccia was referring to the many non-binding resolutions presented by Democrats, who say they cannot get their issues considered in committee meetings, which have led to strife.

“There’s a part of me that says they’re trying to discourage you, keep you from having that ambition to make life better for the citizens,” he said. “They don’t raise issues, they raise personalities. I pave a street, I repress votes. I don’t have a right to privacy, I don’t have a right to an attorney. They know more than a police department chief, they know more than DPW, they know more than the law department and they know more than the mayor.”

Moccia continued, “I thought about saying, ‘maybe it’s time not to seek re-election, to battle and fight for Norwalk and leave it in shape without the rigors of a campaign.’ When I say fight, I don’t mean in the way they want to fight. I’m talking about fighting for your principals, your beliefs and what you’ve tried to accomplish over the last seven years. I thought about that long and hard. Then I thought, ‘no one goes through life, especially an elected official, unscathed.’ We all go through things. We cannot let people’s nasty words become our beliefs about ourselves. I choose to stand and fight, I will seek re-election.”

Moccia was interrupted by applause from fellow Republicans, before he continued, “It wasn’t an easy decision, a lot of discussions with family, our party leaders, elected officials, my wife obviously. But I thought it was the right thing to do.”

Correction made, 4:55 a.m.

Norwalk Mayor Moccia runns again 099-20130205

Mayor Richard Moccia thanks his wife, Barbara Moccia, for “going with him for one more time.” He added his first movie reference of the evening: “Barbara and I are not quite ready to ride off into the sunset yet.”

Original story –

NORWALK, Conn. – Norwalk Mayor Richard Moccia says the personal attacks won’t stop him, he’s seeking reelection in 2013.

Moccia is speaking at this moment at the Norwalk Inn, listing the many good things he says are going on in Norwalk – including the fact that Waypointe developers pulled permits for their development today.

“Compare us to cities, don’t compare us to Wilton and Westport,” he said,

Moccia said he continues to have a vision for the future of Norwalk and wants to lead Norwalk in 2014 and 2015.

This story will be updated.

Tim T February 5, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I’m actually glad he’s going to run as this guarantees a democrat will be our next mayor. Let’s just hope that the democrat is not part of the old boys club that has destroyed Norwalk. I would say the only one of the names that I have seen so far that actually cares about Norwalk would be Andy.

Tim T February 5, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Moccia Said

“Compare us to cities, don’t compare us to Wilton and Westport,”
What like Brigheport and New Haven since he has been mayor???
Great work Dick maybe if we had 2 more years of you we could be just like Trenton.

Ken P Jr February 5, 2013 at 7:59 pm

If people think Moccia is bad, asking for a democrat is suicide. The problem with our republicans is theyre liberal, replace a liberal Republican with a democrat & nobody will care about the taxpayers at all.

Diane C2 February 5, 2013 at 8:14 pm

If the dems don’t come up with a platform that has a fiscal responsibility plan on every issue, they don’t stand a chance. Our wallets are empty now..

BARIN February 5, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Sometimes change is good, if a Dem wins you have change. On the other hand the grass is always greener. You know what you have now; are we happy? I’ll settle for a transparent, accountable and honest administration no matter who is in charge.

oldtimer February 5, 2013 at 9:37 pm

In his own mind he probably believes some of what he says about fighting for the good of the City. Now, if only he had the wisdom to see that a lot of the so-called attacks against him are legitimate attacks on the bad habits he has developed with a rubber-stamp majority on the council over the past few years. The young people working so hard for change will not go away. They are not wrong and they won’t always be the minority party.
Nothing is ever that simple, but, if the Dems get their act together and get behind a condidate, moccia stands a good chance of losing this time, despite the incumbent’s advantage. It is time he retired, but he doesn’t understand that the way the voters do. Naturally, he would like to see some of the redevelopment projects get built, but his time is past. As much as I am not a moccia fan, I hope he has avoided the kinds of bad mistakes that could really spoil his golden years, but I am not betting on it.

Tim T February 5, 2013 at 9:40 pm

M. Murray
If what you say were to be the case I would do a write in for Mickey Mouse as we would be better off.

Tim T February 5, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Old Timer
If you statement is correct “In his own mind he probably believes some of what he says about fighting for the good of the City” That pretty scary..He has as much as admitted that we have become another Bridgeport..Odd as before he was mayor we were a typical New England “mini” city..Notice the word “mini” as in other parts of the country Norwalk would be considered a town..Thanks mayor Moccia maybe under your leadership we can become Trenton .

Tim T February 5, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Moccia stated
At least we agree on something as they probably do know more than the mayor and the police chief..Thanks Dick for pointing that out.

M. Murray February 5, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Norwalk was a city with city problems when I came here in 1985. I believe there were more shootings in the late 80″s and early 90′s than there are now. Gangs were older but just as violent, and crack wars were the rage. Everyone tried to act like Norwalk was a small seaport community while there were shootings every weekend. We were spoiled by the calm in the late 90″s and early 2000′s. things still aren’t as bad as they were back then.

Tim T February 5, 2013 at 10:32 pm

MMurray
Don’t think so but nice try at spin

The NPD and mayor denied the gang issue in Norwalk for years. The problem is that due to the failure of the Norwalk Police Department to prevent or solve crime and the mayor to react to this failure. We now have what is becoming Bridgeport. The funny thing is we have Moccia and Rilling who both want to be mayor. I would have say please stop trying to help Norwalk as we can no longer afford your help.
It’s odd as everyone I speak with seems to feel the exact opposite of how you feel. Yes we have the ones that attempt spin it for whatever reason but the average taxpayer in Norwalk feels crime is OUT OF CONTROL.

Suzanne February 5, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Whatever Norwalk used to be, WE CAN DO BETTER NOW! Moccia’s administration feels like an unending domino game over a cliff.

Diane C2 February 5, 2013 at 11:13 pm

@BARIN: “I’ll settle for a transparent, accountable and honest administration no matter who is in charge.”

That just about covers it. So simple, but apparently also very difficult judging by the state of the city. Things have been bad for a while, but more and more folks are becoming vocal about it. The lack of transparency, accountability and honesty exist for one reason only: because we allow it to.

Joe Espo February 6, 2013 at 12:53 am

So Nancy, for one, is so very transparent and of such journalistic integrity that she mis-quotes the Mayor making him sound as grammatically challenged as she may be: “…a tough *road* to hoe…” I was there; he didn’t say “road”… he said “row.” Get that, Nancy!!!

God help us if any of the democrats win. Hold on to your wallet; hold on to your house; hold on to your kids; hold on to your morals; hold on to your family. Take cover on crime.

And as he said, is true: since Rilling resigned in June, crime is down by 19%. And so… hold on to your guns.

LWitherspoon February 6, 2013 at 8:38 am

@Joe Espo
It’s not necessary to accuse Nancy of having no journalistic integrity simply because one word was incorrectly transcribed in a quote. In any case the error, if there was one, was harmless. “Row” is correct but people commonly say “road” and the meaning is the same.
On what basis is crime down 19% since Rilling resigned in June? Is that a year-over-year comparison? If Mayor Moccia said that, I hope our local reporters will delve into the statistics and fact check the claim.

Snssunrise February 6, 2013 at 9:37 am

Can we get a Rudy Guilliani type in there. Yes i am worried about fiscal security but NONE of our city politicians EVER talk about crime.

Harold February 6, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Rilling and Moccia need to cancel eachother out and open the door for someone not from “the same old regime”

Nancy Chapman February 6, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I can’t tell from my recording whether he said road or row, so I just changed it and noted a correction.
I’m one of those people, I say road. I assumed that’s what he said.

About this site

NancyOnNorwwalk.com was conceived as the place to go for Norwalk residents to get the real, unvarnished story about what is going on in and around their city. NancyOnNorwalk does not intend to be a print newspaper online; rather, it exists to pull the curtain back and shine a spotlight on how Norwalk is run and what is happening regarding issues that have an impact on taxpayers’ pocketbooks and safety. As an independent site, NancyOnNorwalk’s first and only allegiance is to the reader.

About Nancy

Nancy came to Norwalk in September 2010 and, after reporting on Norwalk for two years for another company, resigned to begin Nancy On Norwalk so she engage in journalism the way it was meant to be done. She is married to career journalist Mark Chapman, has a son, Eric (the artist and web designer who built this website), and two cats – a middle-aged lady and a young hottie who are learning how to peacefully co-exist.