NORWALK, Conn. – No historic properties will be affected by the Rowayton Avenue reconstruction contract recently approved by the Norwalk Common Council, the State Historic Preservation Office said in documents provided by Department of Public Works Director Hal Alvord.
A complete review of the area between Caroline Court and Arnold Lane was mandatory under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) according to an email sent from Scott A. Roberts of the Connecticut Department of Transportation to Alvord and other DPW officials on Jan. 14.
There will be no significant effect on the environment. While there are “relatively high densities of 19th century domestic artifacts” near Belmont Place, the pervasive ground disturbance of the area means that the archaeological value of the site has been invalidated, the email said.
“We have documents from the state historical preservation office and the DOT (Connecticut Department of Transportation) that all of the historical reviews that were required were done. In fact, we did archaeological excavations in the area,” Alvord said recently. He provided the documents last week. They are attached below.