NORWALK, Conn. – SoNo Collection developer General Growth Properties (GGP) will present revised plans for the proposed mall on West Avenue to the Planning Committee of the Norwalk Common Council at the committee’s regular meeting scheduled for 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 6, in Room 231 of City Hall.
The agenda package is available for review on the Planning Committee’s website. Included in the GGP-related agenda items is the presentation of additional information regarding the malls’ Conceptual Master Site Plan as requested recently by the joint committee of the Common Council and Redevelopment Agency.
At that committee’s July 22 meeting with GGP representatives, Redevelopment’s Tim Sheehan expressed concerns about a planned 335-foot underpass – also called a “tunnel” by some people – on North Water Street, a design feature planned to provide space for anchor tenant Bloomingdale’s and keep the upscale retailer closely connected with the rest of the mall. Concerns about pedestrian, traffic and parking issues were also discussed.
The overpass issue does not get any special attention in the update, and is not prominently featured in any contextual way in the visuals.
The information GGP submitted is available for download here.
Other mall-related items on the agenda:
- Review the Amendment Provisions of the Reed Putnam Urban Renewal Plan Review LDA Amendment #4 (Executive Session)
- Discuss August Joint Meeting with Redevelopment Agency
- Discuss September Public Hearing on LDA
The new information comes complete with a 56-page pdf package titled CMSP-Additional Information.
Under Massing and Context:
- Four 3-D models with views of the project from various directions (the overpass/underpass/so-called tunnel is not shown)
Under Site Plan Detail Design Concepts:
- Drawings, artists conceptions and photos of the project and surrounding area.
Under Concept Views:
- 6 renderings of views from various directions
- A parking and traffic map with legend
- A pedestrian connectivity map with legend
- A bicycle connectivity map with legend
- A public transportation map with legend
- A drawing labeled Connectivity Clarifications
Under Public Realm Concepts:
- Public realm definition
- Public realm vision with pictures
- Public realm location and comparison with photos of other places and a map with locations for similar activities
- Concepts for exterior public realm activation with photos and map
- Concepts for interior public realm activation
Under Building Height:
- A drawing indication dimensions
Under Parking and Traffic:
- Interior circulation strategy with drawings
- Anchor prime parking drawing
- Traffic clarifications
Concept Master Plan Site Drawings
- Roof plan
- B2 level plan
- B1 level plan
- Level 1 plan – street level
- Level 2 plan – Mall level 1
- Level 3 plan – Mall level 2
- Level 4 plan – Mall level 3
- Hotel level typical plan
- West Avenue elevation
- Site sections
Concept Master Site Plan Addendum
- Retail planning principles
- Anchor requirements
- Planning diagram
- Roof plan
- Design concepts photos, rendering, drawing
- View from Reed Street and West Avenue
- View toward West Avenue
- Conceptual sections