Join SUN to stand up for all Norwalkers

Send signed letters to [email protected]

Stand Up Norwalk (SUN) was formed to stand up against the xenophobia, racism and scapegoating that is on the rise in our city, our country and the world.

Locally, for instance, last Saturday anti-Muslim flyers were distributed in South Norwalk calling to mind the “MAKE AMERICA WHITE AGAIN” flyers that were circulated in the city in February.   Furthermore, currently two mothers, each of whom has lived in Norwalk for more than 20 years, are being threatened with deportation.  Why? Because as undocumented immigrants they are being scapegoated for crimes and economic woes.

Nationally, on the other hand, there are President Trump’s staccato racist and xenophobic dog whistles. As Mitt Romney, the 2012 Republican nominee for President, put it in a Facebook post regarding President Trump’s remarks following the white supremacists’ march in Charlottesville, for example, what he “communicated caused racists to rejoice, minorities to weep, and the vast heart of America to mourn.”  Furthermore, after the President pardoned Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio on Aug. 25, an editorial in The New York Times noted that Mr. Arpaio, “spent a good part of his near-quarter-century in office terrorizing the Latinos of southern Arizona, locking them up for the crime of having brown skin, abusing and humiliating them, refusing to stop even after a federal judge told him to, and arresting journalists for reporting on it all.”

Finally, with respect to the world outside our borders, nativist anti-immigrant politicians in Austria, Britain, France, Hungary, Poland, the Netherlands and elsewhere have all gained favor in recent years.  And as the Financial Times pointed out recently, nobody represents their views better than Viktor Orban, the prime minister of Hungary, who declared that the historical question Europeans face today is whether Europe will “remain the continent for Europeans.”

Hence, we in Norwalk can be proud that we have a mayor who along with more than 200 other Mayors around the country signed a compact “expressly rejecting extremism, white supremacy and all forms of bigotry.”  But now it is time for our Common Council to express support for his decision and support too for SUN’s resolution expressing pride in the diversity of our citizens and “respect for the enlightenment values embodied in our Country’s founding documents and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.”

SUN’S next meeting is this Sunday at 5 p.m.   If you agree that our elected officials should stand up for the rights of all members of our community regardless of their race, status as immigrants, religion, sex, or sexual orientation please join us on Sunday.  To find out where the meeting will take place contact [email protected]

Paul Cantor, Norwalk

Non Partisan August 31, 2017 at 9:12 pm

Paul

I’ve asked you several times to give me facts so I can change my mind

What are the costs to norwalk tax payers for
– educating our large illegal immigrant population.
– please include all programs net of federal and state program specific funding.
– what would the mill rate be if these costs were paid 100% by the state or federal government and not real estate taxes?
– what would the test score of our schools be if the illegal immigrant population was not included in these numbers? Would they be substantially different?
– what is the size of this population? Would we need to build another school if we weren’t a sanctuary city.

I admire your tenacity. I agree that discrimination is disgusting and abhorant. So please answer my questions ( with out platitudes or quoting national statistics on the benefits of immigration) and tell me how much of our local norwalk dollars you want us to continue spending.

Rick September 1, 2017 at 3:41 am

Norwalk needs to hire more officers who can help your cause Paul, any idea where the money is going to come from ?

Its a disgrace when you have city of 100,000 and sometimes no officer on a shift speaks Spanish.

You want to help start with your own police dept Paul.

Read your police incident and arrest logs Paul, learn something about Norwalk your postings show your out of touch with whats going on in Norwalk your hurting your cause.

Tom Reynolds September 1, 2017 at 7:34 am

Hmmm. Now you’re defending Muslim’s? Weren’t you the ringleader in the fight against the mosque on Fillow Street?

Rem September 1, 2017 at 9:05 am

According to the link to SUN’s resolution, there is mention that “speech that demeans undocumented immigrants” would be condemned. I’m taking that very literally – would one be condemned, humiliated in public or arrested for speaking against illegal (“unauthorized ” as they say now) immigrants? I went through the very arduous visa process with my wife so that she could come here with me, so I’m upset that for those who did not go through the process should get a free pass. Mind you it was not cheap either – all told about $2,000 to do it lawfully. I understand the intent in SUN in this regard, but it actually sounds demeaning to those who went through all the paperwork.

Al Bore September 1, 2017 at 9:08 am

Bring back the driving range so Paul has something else to do! I am all for legal immigration not illegal immigration, and I am against all types of racism. The US has a process to become legal US citizen and if someone chooses not to follow it they are breaking the law. We can’t pick and choose which laws we want to follow; isn’t this common sense Paul?

V September 1, 2017 at 9:55 am

Mr Cantor would have us believe that the United States of America is filled with race baiting, anti immigrant, homophobic Neanderthals. But the outpouring of support that we have all shown during the Harvey disaster paints a much more accurate and telling picture of who we are.

Notaffilated September 1, 2017 at 10:12 am

I wonder how many copies of the anti-Muslim flyer someone from SUN decided to print. I smell a fish similar to prior events such as the bomb threats to Jewish centers.

Riddle me this Batman…9/11 happened over a decade ago and only now we see flyers. Hmmmm

Non Partisan September 1, 2017 at 10:15 am

V well said

And btw paul- the definition of a bigot is any one who is so entrenched in their thoughts that they look down on anybody who disagrees.

That’s a sword that cuts both ways.

So please- provide us with the total costs for your proposals

Notaffilated September 1, 2017 at 10:15 am

As the progressives continue with their identity politics, they’ll never convince the right and, more importantly, disenfranchise the large swath of Americans who are independents. Keep it up Cantor, BLM, Antifa. You help sway thinking

Donna September 1, 2017 at 12:03 pm

You don’t have to join a group to prove that you’re tolerant of others, nor does the city have to pass a resolution to prove it is tolerant of all people regardless of background. The implication of some of these social progressive movement is to tar all non-joiners with the brush of racism. That is a failed strategy in my opinion. In Westport last week I drove past a house with a yard sign that read “hate has no place here”. A fine sentiment. But what does the lack of these signs elsewhere say about other inhabitants? That they’re white supremacists? If I don’t wear a pink ribbon, does it mean I’m pro-breast cancer? If I don’t wear a flag pin, does it mean I’m pro-terrorism? When will this silliness stop?

Rick September 2, 2017 at 5:17 pm

A statue of celebrated explorer Christopher Columbus was found beheaded in a Yonkers park 2 days ago , whats next?

maybe the American flag will be next who knows it beats taking on some of the elected officials who seem to be bent on running the state into the ground.

Keep up the good work Paul

Donna September 3, 2017 at 9:29 am

@Rick, you didn’t get the memo. Columbus is now a figure of malevolence. In LA the City Council voted to replace Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day. Paul’s heart is in the right place. But there is self-importance behind the nice sentiments. Norwalk is already in practice a sanctuary city. If the CC approves SUN’s resolution, that is a victory for Paul, but it does nothing to reform the immigration process. Legal immigrants are still locked in legal quagmires for years waiting out INS approvals, and illegal immigrants continue to walk in, often at their own peril. Making Norwalk safe for illegal immigrants does not make it any safer for them to cross the border or to cross through Mexico, where the police are famous for robbing and beating Guatamalan immigrants passing through. It’s not about actuallly helping people. It’s about BIG IDEAS with lots of words.

Isabelle Hargrove September 3, 2017 at 9:58 am

Thank you, Donna, for having the courage to speak up, even without your last name. I agree and I am proud of doing so. These ideas may feel good but they do much harm to both people coming illegally and to the middle and lower class of our country. Indeed the focus should be on reforming our legal immigration system and there are some solid ideas out there no one is focused on.

Although proponents of the no-border-no-laws-chaos are doing a good job of labeling anyone who dares have a different POV as a moronic racist, I hope people continue to stand up and encourage our country to continue its long heritage of legal immigration (which I am a product of) by curbing the illegal tide wave and reforming our current system. Call me what you may!

Donna September 3, 2017 at 7:49 pm

@Isabelle, my last name–Smirniotopoulos–is long and I often leave it out, figuring that a lot of posters already know me.

I agree that the negative consequences of open or porous borders fall unequally on lower and middle income working people. I’ve scratched my head when old high school classmates have condemned places like Charlottesville for being historically racist while these same women live in exclusive and affluent suburbs that are 96% white. Our country was founded on western values. They are still excellent values. We should embrace and treasure them. The American experiment is still the benchmark for all democracies. And I’m certain many Americans are tired of apologizing for being American.

By the way I voted for Obama twice. I voted for Hillary in 2016. And I’m a registered democrat.