“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” –Maya Angelou
Election season brings even greater passion than usual to NON’s comments section. We feel lucky that so many smart, civically-engaged people are interested in sharing their thoughts here.
Please read the comment policy below, and follow it. This request is directed at everyone. If part of you wonders if this request might be directed towards you in particular, then please read the comment policy twice.
We’ve received questions about the meaning of the policy against ascribing motives. For a comment to violate this policy, it needs to unambiguously ascribe motives. Example: “Jane Smith is deliberately holding back this City with her opposition to this capital budget.”
In cases where you believe a commenter has misunderstood your point of view, or misunderstood the facts, we encourage you to express your thoughts with a polite reply. Discussion of issues and facts is preferable to discussion of people and personalities. Light is preferable to heat.
Last, please be gentle with each other, and with the writer. She’s working very hard to provide you a valuable public service while still grieving the sudden loss of her husband. You can help by donating in the box to the right, and by attending our fundraiser on November 3rd at My Three Sons.
Thanks for your understanding, for your support, and for your continued participation in Norwalk’s digital town square.
John Levin, Chair
Board Members, Chapman Hyperlocal Media
Our goal is to provide a forum for information and a healthy exchange of ideas – constructive, informative, entertaining or all of the above. We pride ourselves in providing an online venue where intelligent, mature people can debate, suggest, converse and exchange ideas without wading through the muck found on many sites.
- Adding information to the post. If you know something we don’t, please do share it!
- Updates. We don’t live in a static world. Updating info helps everyone.
- Opinions: Like, say, noses, everyone has one. Feel free to share yours, but please be respectful.
In a perfect world, the next set of items would not be necessary. Unfortunately, not everyone can play nice with others:
- This is something every child in the U.S. is being taught: Do not insult, bully, threaten or harass the writers or your fellow commenters. Continued violators will be banned.
- Offensive, inappropriate or annoying comments – basically, being a troll – may be deleted or subjected to distempering. Trolls will be banned.
- Character assassination by innuendo will not be tolerated and will result in a loss of comment privileges.
- Parenting, physical characteristics, children, marital relationships, interpersonal relationships — other than as they pertain to official duties or documented, proven illegalities — are not public business and will not be allowed and will result in a loss of comment privileges.
- Spam once, you are gone. This means junk comments, promotional copies or attachments.
Do not ascribe motives to people without proof. It is harmful to the discourse and could create a legal situation.
- Sock puppets – alias accounts created by previously banned commenters or by commenters who are seeking third-party approval the easy way – will be banned.
- Racist, sexist, anti-Semitic, homophobic or otherwise offensive comments will be deleted. Continued violators will be banned.
- Creativity is a wonderful thing, but finding creative ways to try to avoid getting flagged for policy violations is not cool. Comments will be deleted.
- Please don’t include e-mail addresses, physical addresses, or phone numbers in your comments for the purpose of self-promotion, or for the purpose of harassing or publicly exposing the private data of others. Such comments will be redacted or removed.
- The game of trying to guess – or making assertions – about the identities of posters using screen names has gotten old and annoying, and it is most often wrong or unverifiable. Further, it is harmful to the discourse, and potentially libelous. We will no longer allow it. Comments that try to “out” another commenter will be disallowed, and the commenter will be placed on moderation.
- Language, folks. Keep it clean. People of all ages and sensitivities read this news site, and many are offended or should not be exposed to foul, vulgar or crass language.
- Continual posting of erroneous information, especially after having been told it is erroneous, will not be allowed. If your post is deleted for this reason and you feel your information is correct, send us backup information to prove your statements are valid.
- Elected and appointed officials with decision-making power – and candidates asking for votes – must use their real names when commenting on stories.
We make mistakes. We want to fix them.
- We welcome alerts about typos, incorrect names, factual errors, and the like.
- We generally do not correct quoted text.
- Allegations of factual errors will be corrected at the editor’s discretion if verifiable documentation is available.
- Requests for credit or attribution may be honored at the editor’s discretion if verifiable documentation is submitted.
Send an email to [email protected] if you think a comment is offensive or breaks the above rules.
We reserve the right to modify the rules. Continual violators will be banned from commenting.
Comments represent the opinion of the commenter and the commenter alone. NancyOnNorwalk and Chapman Hyperlocal Media Inc. take no responsibility for opinions or the veracity of statements made by commenters on this website.