Quantcast

Opinion: The American Dream

A United States postal stamp issued in memory of The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King. (Courtesy of Flikr user US Embassy New Delhi.)

Kristopher Flores, a Roton Middle School student, was named by U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) as one of the winners in the annual Martin Luther King essay contest. This is Kristopher’s entry:

The American Dream is something a lot of people talk about but no one knew it better than Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and today I will tell you about that dream.

Dr. King’s dream was for everyone of every skin color and race to join hands and rise up as Americans and be one big family. He specifically said this “I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave-owners will be able to sit down at the table of brotherhood.

We as Americans have been striving towards that dream ever since the first slavery was abolished in 1865. Civil Rights is an important thing in a big society such as America because without Civil Rights nobody would know where this world would be right know. Some people still believe that blacks and whites should be separated but that percentage has gone from 75 percent in the 1960’s to 40 percent now in the 2000’s. I believe that the 40 percent of people who disagree with the other 60 percent of America (https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/06/segregation-2015/396167/) should start to get the fact that America is not always going to be separated but in the famous words of the negro spiritual “ Free at last, Free at last, Thank God Almighty, we are free at last”. My dream is for poverty to stop and for everyone to have a job. This relates to Dr. King’s dream because I want all people to have equal chances at jobs and be given the chance to make money to provide for their families. I know we still have work to do but there we will always be striving to the American Dream.

One comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>