Quantcast

State budget cancels planned bus and train fare increases

Train fares are not going up July 1.

NORWALK, Conn. – This is a press release, presented in the format in which it was sent:

 

GOV. MALLOY AND COMM. REDEKER ANNOUNCE THAT TRANSIT FARE INCREASES AND SERVICE REDUCTIONS HAVE BEEN CANCELED

 

(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Dannel P. Malloy and Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) Commissioner James P. Redeker today announced that with the signing of the state budget adjustment bill earlier this week, bus and train fare increases and service reductions that had been scheduled to take effect on July 1 have been canceled.

“My administration worked tirelessly this legislative session to ensure adequate funding to keep the Special Transportation Fund solvent in the short-term,” Governor Malloy said.  “I am relieved that we were able to avoid drastic fare increases and disruptive service reductions.  This is welcome news to the thousands of Connecticut commuters who utilize our buses and trains every day.  That said, if we want to make the necessary investments to keep our transportation infrastructure in a state of good repair in future years, the state will need to find new, long-term funding sources to replace dwindling gas tax revenues.  This should not be seen as optional – it’s critical to Connecticut’s future.”

“This is great news for Connecticut commuters and I commend the General Assembly for passing a budget that maintains full funding for public transportation and the Department of Transportation in general – at least in the near term,” Commissioner Redeker said.

With a pending Special Transportation Fund (STF) shortfall, plans had been made for a 10 percent fare increase for rail commuters, a 14 percent fare increase for bus riders, and service reductions on several rail lines and transit districts.  The budget passed by the General Assembly and signed by Governor Malloy accelerated the transfer of motor vehicle sales tax revenues from the General Fund to the STF beginning this year, stabilizing the STF in the short-term.

A press release is an announcement drafted by an organization to publicize its news. NancyOnNorwalk takes no responsibility for the content of this press release.

One comment

Rick May 17, 2018 at 4:29 pm

great pictures of a surface crossing on the Danbury line has a few. Now if this one is on Cross st before the new proposed station on wall st it will block the intersection making it a problem for the road people.

this was never talked about if it is Cross st an issue with the Federal Railroad administration could come up. Its a route to Norwalk hospital and has to be taken into consideration.

Now the question is the Merritt station is the work still a go on that?

With everyone leaving the Merritt a new station may not be needed after all or is that a stretch?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>