The Friday Question: What’s your one wish for Norwalk?

Last week The Friday Question asked what makes readers grateful to live in America.  Responses included checks and balances, free-market capitalism, wealth and safety, and tacos.

“Wineshine” wrote: “We are the wretched refuse, but we clean up nicely. We are an aggregate of gluttonous consumers, frugal savers, generous givers, stingy scrooges, highly intelligent achievers, slithery slackers, in a melting pot of diverse cultures, all of which are welcome. Somehow it all comes together.”

Today’s question: A genie gives you one wish for Norwalk.  What do you wish for?

A July 13, 2018 at 6:47 am

I would wish for the unsightly utility wires along every street to be moved underground.

I would also wish for more cowbell.

Stephanie Thomas July 13, 2018 at 8:49 am

I wish that everyone eligible would turn out on Election Day to vote. Apathy is winning more elections than Democrats, Republicans or Independents, yet, exercising ones right to vote is of critical importance to ensure that your voice is heard. Primary Elections are on August 14th (Absentee Ballots available on july 25th) and Election Day is November 6th – I hope the genie grants my wish!

Teacher July 13, 2018 at 9:22 am

I wish for the board of education, the taxpayers,central office and teachers of Norwalk to get on the same page. The constant fighting, arguments and attacks launched by some people from all of these categories takes away from our city.

All people understand the value of an education and the teachers are working tirelessly for our students, but for some that’s not enough. They attack. Some on the BOE have self serving agendas, and some work better in collaboration. Older taxpayers see our education system as a burden not an assets.
If everyone dropped their ego’s, worked together RESPECTFULLY, we would have a Norwalk to be proud of.

V July 13, 2018 at 9:41 am

I wish someone could tell me if the work being performed at 1 Allen rd where they are replacing the siding on an very old house with a turn around driveway that certainly was loaded with lead paint is being done properly? I see no permit posted and remediation of said siding is concerning to say the least.

Holden Caulfield July 13, 2018 at 12:01 pm

Please put the utility lines / electrical wires underground. Turn Manresa Island into a public park.

Claire Schoen July 13, 2018 at 12:55 pm

I wish the Walk Bridge could be magically built overnight with no disruption to the city of Norwalk…

Wineshine July 13, 2018 at 1:24 pm

I wish that the city would stop granting variances for more apartments and multiple family dwellings to be added, so that our real estate values will cease to be negatively affected.

Al Bore July 13, 2018 at 1:47 pm

Wineshine already said it so now I will go with revamp the zoning laws and get rid if the RDA.

Kathy Breault July 13, 2018 at 2:18 pm

I wish that Duleep.’s building on Wall St would be finished and there would be glass in the windows and that ugly scaffold taken down. It’s been 6 or seven years now. The whole Empire State Building took one year or so to build.

Dede Farnsworth July 13, 2018 at 2:38 pm

I wish the traffic on I-95 and around the mall construction would clear up. I moved1 mile, from South NORWALK,Quintard Ave, to West Ave. It now takes 20 minutes longer to get to work in Stamford, half of that is the traffic snarl at the mall site. In fact , it takes me only 10 minutes longer to ride my bike from my apartment in Norwalk to Stamford, than it does to drive my car there! However one takes one’s life and one hands to do so, so BIKE LANES(!!!!!!!) are my other wish! Great for property values and health and fitness of the community , as well as practical . I fear with all the development and population increase that we will end up another Stamford where there is horrendous traffic, so much so that I virtually never go there except work , and leave as soon as possible to do my errands and shopping and eating out elsewhere .

Susan Wallerstein July 13, 2018 at 5:47 pm

I wish Norwalkers would realize how unusual and fragile our small city is and spend more time engaging and activating and less time pointing fingers and complaining.

cc-rider July 13, 2018 at 9:31 pm

I wish someone from city enforcement would take a bicycle ride on the side streets near Columbus Magnet school and count up the number of Dish Network satellites on the roofs and compare to the number of apartments on the tax rolls.

Wineshine July 15, 2018 at 8:51 am

I fervently hope and would greatly appreciate it if every Norwalker would pick up an amazing read called, “Rules of the Road”. It’s available from the DMV, or on line. Inside, you’ll uncover the mysteries of:

“No Right Turn On Red”- Who does it apply to?

“How to negotiate an intersection without ‘getting stuck at a red light'” (“What the heck does Right of Way mean?”)

“Green means GO, not Get in touch with a friend by texting”

“What’s that lever sticking out of the right side of my steering wheel?” (With subchapter, “why does a dashboard light flash when I tug on it?”)

“What if everyone cut through a parking lot to avoid a red light?”

“Why do so many cars pass me, and salute with their middle finger?”

“How to see through the sides of that hoodie you’re wearing to drive”

“Darn, that yellow light won’t stop flashing. I’ll just sit here and text until it does”.

“What a yield sign means and why you’re still a nice person if you don’t stop at one to let someone else go”

“How close it too close”, or “Isn’t it cool that I can read the station number on the radio in the car I’m following?”

And these are just from the Beginners section. Advanced methods to follow at a later date, should we all survive.

Rayj July 17, 2018 at 6:54 am

I also wish for dialing back to safer driving. Since cursing the speeders on my cut through street hasn’t worked yet, I will begin thanking those who do not speed.

Piberman July 17, 2018 at 8:05 am

Prof. Managers well versed in modern business management techniques replacing our traditional Union friendly “soft hires” administrators unable to provide affordable City services. . Not one characterized by punitive property taxes, falling property values, long stagnant Grand List and exodus of long time homeowners. Not one referred to as the “hole in the middle of the donut” and the County’s most transient City. Norwalkers used to be proud of their City and how it was managed. In the modern computer age electing Mayors without significant business management experience is a recipe for failure and embarrassment.

Karendoylelyons July 18, 2018 at 11:18 pm

I would ask that all pack a picnic basket with their family and go just out of town and return from any road to town. Wow…: let ‘s see what visitors see!!!!!!!
Amazing!!!! So Here is some, Maritime Aquarium, Steppingstone, Lockwood Mansion, great restaurants, great trips to the islands, beaches, concerts , parks The list is endless.
We are made of diversity, all ages, all heritages, but all important ALL TOGETHER.