Opinion: Deciding Connecticut’s future

Send signed letters to [email protected]

Because the stakes of this election involve Connecticut’s ongoing fiscal crisis, the specter of more tax increases, and the availability of good jobs in this state, I decided I couldn’t sit on the sidelines as the incumbent representative of Norwalk’s 137th House district seeks reelection.  Connecticut is in desperate need of new ideas and new leadership, which is why I put myself forward as a candidate for state representative in order to offer Norwalkers a viable alternative way forward.

I am a Norwalk native who cares deeply for this community, and my campaign is about hope for the future, creative ideas to reform state government, and fighting for the prioritization of education funding and transportation funding.

Voters who pay attention have learned in the past two years that the preferred solution of Connecticut Democrats remains the same as it has been the past eight years: to tax our way into prosperity while reducing the services we rely on.  In both the 2017 and 2018 legislative sessions, Democratic budgets proposed to solve our persistent budget deficit with sales tax hikes, new taxes on cell phones, new restaurant taxes, taxes on seasonal homes, taxes on home heating oil, and establishing highway tolls throughout our state with no plan in place (among other new taxes & fees).  All of this while slashing Norwalk’s education funding, transportation, and other core government services.

If there is one message I want to convey to Norwalk voters, it is that this does not need to be the way forward to our state.  We do not and can not tax and toll our way back to prosperity.

Connecticut needs to first focus on paying down its unfunded retirement liabilities that are strangling its budget.  Then, serious structural reforms need to occur, such as switching new state employees over to defined contribution retirement plans that look more like private sector pensions.  At this point, taxpayers cannot afford the government we have.

Finally, phasing out or reducing burdensome taxes is the key to offering Connecticut residents hope for their future and the future of their children here.

As election season enters full swing here in Norwalk, I hope to continue having conversations with Norwalk families about what needs to be done to make Connecticut more affordable, to bring jobs back.

Frank Page

Frank Page is both the Republican and Independent candidate to represent Connecticut’s 137th House District, which covers East Norwalk, Central Norwalk, Shorefront Park, and a portion of Cranbury.

Sue Haynie October 7, 2018 at 6:24 am

“At this point, (Connecticut) taxpayers cannot afford the government we have.”
Excellent points and good luck.

Mike Mushak October 7, 2018 at 8:55 am

The first paragraph reads:
“I think I speak for many Norwalkers when I say the results of the November election will have drastic consequences for my future in Connecticut as well as for my friends’ and families’ futures.”

I agree. That is EXACTLY why no one in their right mind should vote for this or any Republican this November, in CT or anywhere across our great country.

The questions that every voter should ask every single Republican candidate this year, (which so far when I have asked them they refuse to answer) are:

Do you reject Trump and his regressive policies that are anti-women, anti-gay, anti-healthcare, anti-immigrant, anti-environmental protection, anti-workers rights, anti-consumer, anti-voting rights, anti-Social Security and Medicare, anti-public education, anti-sensible gun control, anti-free trade, anti-pay equity, pro-dictatorship, etc?

If so, which of Trump’s policies are you for, and which are you against? We know where Democrats stand on all of these issues. Why won’t Republican candidates in CT ever reject Trump and his regressive policies?

This implicit approval is disturbing and shocking. Think about that before you check off that “R” candidate. How can we ever trust a politician who refuses to reject the lying and racist and corrupt and genital-grabbing Trump?

Republicans in CT seem to want to stand behind Trump and his dangerous regressive policies, as Stefanowski so proudly proclaims, and yet pretend they are for CT residents and their values. Sorry, you can’t have it both ways. Most CT voters are too smart to fall for that nonsense.

After the GOP’s disgusting and corrupt performance stealing a balanced and moderate Supreme Court nominee from Obama, then supporting the nomination of the extremist Kavanaugh who believes presidents are above the law while hiding 90% of his records and then whitewashing an investigation into Kavanaugh’s troubled past including lying to Congress, and then voting for the most angry and partisan Justice we have ever seen for a lifetime appointment, our only hope this year for real checks and balances to the dangerous Trump regime is to vote Democrat across the board next month.

Some will say with a straight face, as my friend and newly registered Republican Lisa Brinton Thompson of Rowayton has, “oh, CT elections have nothing to do with Trump.”

My answer is CT elections have EVERYTHING to do with Trump. Our state legislature is our very last line of defense to protect our basic rights to clean water and air, affordable healthcare, Social Security and Medicare, marriage equality, women’s right to choose what is best for their own health and families, consumer protection, sensible gun control, voting rights, social justice no matter what race or ethnicity we are, etc.

Trump-loving Republicans deserve to lose, to help restore our true American values of honesty, fairness, and justice to our broken system.

Vote Democrat this November. Our future depends on it.

Piberman October 7, 2018 at 9:01 am

Democrats have been in firm control of Connecticut for nearly a decade. So we know our future with continued Democratic control of our once proud State. CT Democrats are giving our nation a visible demonstration of how excessive tax and spending increases can drastically deteriorate a State economy. With a major Exodus of jobs, firms and residents. Even our public Unions, firm supporters of Democrats, are concerned with CT’s ability to pay their lofty salaries/benefits. So we know what to do.

Tysen Canevari October 7, 2018 at 9:39 am

I will be voting for you Frank. We need more people like yourself involved in our government. Good luck

Kenneth Werner October 7, 2018 at 12:46 pm

Yes, we need to pay down our debt. Yes, we need to spend more on education and transportation infrastructure. And yes, everybody would like to see a reduction in “burdensome taxes.” So, Frank, where do you propose (in detail, please) to get the money for these expensive and necessary initiatives? That’s the missing piece that would elevate your position statement from voodoo to an exciting plan of action.

Roberta DiBisceglie October 7, 2018 at 6:18 pm

Not all Republicans support “dangerous, regressive policies.” Not all Democrats are doing the right thing by their constituents. IMO the two party system in the US has created a voting system based on partisan politics, not on truth or justice. I’m hopeful that Norwalkers will not blindly vote on party lines but for the candidate that will best serve our community. From where I sit, the current administration has failed us miserably.

Michael Foley October 7, 2018 at 7:47 pm

Frank Dont Listen to The Man Behind Duff and Harry’s Curtain anyone smart enough can see what they have to the the State ! Good Luck !

Kevin Kane October 8, 2018 at 8:24 am

The Connecticut Democratic Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed for the same reasons: they stink. Frank exemplifies everything Connecticut and Norwalk needs: new energy and fresh perspectives with a solid background. I’ve spent many occasions talking with Frank and he clearly “gets it”. Frank has my vote, I hope you will join me. It’s time to turn the page.

Reasonable Doubt October 8, 2018 at 9:32 am

Mike Mushake

Can you provide one clean example of what Trump has done that is not rife with partisan political thinking, or stunted by lazy intellectual curiosity, on any of the points you stated in your post and which are included as follows:

I’ve been really looking, and researching but I can’t find one.

Steve Mann October 8, 2018 at 9:37 am

Mike,

What exactly has worked well here in Connecticut under Democratic rule? My home is actually worth less now than at the end of the crash.

There’s a distinct dichotomy of how the USA is faring under Trump and how CT has foundered under Malloy, Blumenthal, Murphy and the others. Maybe they, and you should be more concerned with what the facts are here instead of throwing false and negative memes and narratives on subjects that do not effect our daily lives. There is NO parallel at all. Do we need a refresher on the definition of insanity?

Lisa Brinton Thomson October 8, 2018 at 9:44 am

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely – whether federal. state or local. I am tired of single party rule and the lack of discussion of serious fiscal issues that matter in my STATE and CITY.

Btw…Mike, if you are going to invoke my name with your blanket partisan rants – please spell it correctly 🙂

Jeff October 8, 2018 at 10:02 am

“Connecticut needs to first focus on paying down its unfunded retirement liabilities that are strangling its budget.”

How do you propose doing this, Frank?

Al Bore October 8, 2018 at 2:51 pm

@Mike Mushak,

I am for sure in my right mind. Who do you think you are to characterize the mind set of people who vote republican, how dare you. You have a right to your own opinion and so should everyone else. Don’t judge all people who don’t vote your way and don’t try to tell me or anyone else who to vote for ever, it is none of your business and I don’t need your help! I earned the right to vote the way I want to, not the way you want me to. Thanks
Al Bore

Norwalk native October 8, 2018 at 7:34 pm

@Al Bore,

Thank you for your lucid post.

As usual, the Communists would have us believe that they are smarter than the non-Communists…this despite the fact that they (the Communists) currently hold no National power and are being outmaneuvered on a daily basis by the so called racist/misogynist/ homophobic orange gassball they so
despise.

Mr. Mushak is the kind of CT voter that had served the Democrats, the Public Unions and Illegals well: largely uninformed and disinterested in positive results. He votes with what he thinks is his heart; all the while smearing anyone who disagrees with his unmoveable and unsupportable point of view.

Ronald Reagan (a one time Democrat) once said that he didn’t leave the Democrat party, the Democrat party left him. I came to that same conclusion and no amount of name calling by the angry Left will keep me and my Deplorable family and friends away from the polls this November.

I may not be as smart as Mr. Mushak, but I do know the difference between positive results and the actual experience of our state. Nothing will change unless the leadership changes first.

Nancy McGuire October 14, 2018 at 8:11 am

When I vote this November, I am going to be thinking about the young generation of entrepreneurs who have started businesses on Wall Street. As my career winds down, I know that we did the best we could, driving through the 2008 recession, failed Wall St. developments, festering blight, explosive healthcare costs, and nerve-racking increases in state and local taxes. Everyone agrees a healthy balance between public and private sector makes a great town to raise a family, but Connecticut has been out of balance for several years. I’m voting to give the next generation a better life. If I lived in Norwalk, I would vote for Frank. Best of Luck.