NORWALK – The kitchen exhaust system in the Village Gourmet Chinese restaurant, 22 Chestnut Hill Road, caught fire Monday afternoon.
Firefighters were dispatched at 3:45 p.m. to the popular restaurant in the Cranbury Shopping Center after numerous 911 calls were received reporting flames emanating from the roof.
Video by Harold Cobin at end of story
They climbed to the roof and streamed water at a flaming ventilator, extinguishing the fire in about ten minutes. Water was then poured down the exhaust ductwork to the kitchen.
Deputy Fire Chief Albert Bassett said a sprinkler head activated in the kitchen, limiting spread of the fire in the ceiling.
He said the kitchen sustained water damage and there was smoke in the dining room.
Bassett said the restaurant was closed by the city’s Health Department until cleaning and repairs can be completed.
There were no reported injuries. The fire is under investigation by the Fire Marshal’s office.