Anthony Allison is the Executive Director of Norwalk ACTS.
Shout out to Positive Directions and Westport Young Women’s League (WYWL) for sponsoring an eight-hour Mental Health Training session to be held at Norwalk Community College on April 26th, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The session is free thanks to the generosity of the WYWL.
The training will give participants the skills they need to provide initial support to someone who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem and help connect them to appropriate care.
The training will cover:
- Common signs and symptoms of mental illness
- Common signs and symptoms of substance use
- How to interact with a person in crisis
- How to connect the person with help
- How to administer naloxone in the event of an opioid overdose.
The work of the Norwalk ACTS Social Emotional Initiative has identified many areas of community need and this type of training is another critical step forward for the overall social emotional support system that Norwalk is developing.