Apathy yields unsurprising results

Send signed letters to [email protected]

Another Norwalk city election is over and to the surprise of no one, the results were the same as two years ago.

The Republicans got clobbered, the Independents stayed home (that’s how independent they are), and the Democrats celebrated with glee.

Independent Lisa Brinton worked very hard, exuded tons of energy, talked to 10,000 plus residents, and with the support of many Republicans,
received roughly twice as many votes as last time.

Still, Mayor Rilling survived easily, 55% to 45%, securing his fourth term in office. Nice!

The numbing question in these local elections remains, “Why do less than 30 per cent of the 57,679 registered Norwalk voters actually vote?”

Meaning that approximately 40,000 registered residents don’t even bother to show up. What does that tell you? You can only conclude total apathy.

Meanwhile,the 15,000 or so folks who did vote, most of them for Democrats, hardly represent a referendum. If they do, it gets scary.

But one thing IS clear: The Democrats like things just the way they are in Norwalk, thank you. Meaning high taxes, lots of new apartments, shrinking home prices, sewers that don’t work, small business disappearing, the billion dollar walk bridge. And that’s just for openers.

But hey, we have Calf Pasture Beach, Jimmy’s Deli and Stew Leonard’s, three gems we can all enjoy.

As Mayor Rilling shouted taking his victory lap, WOW, WOW,WOW!

James Kahmann
Norwalk

Indy November 7, 2019 at 10:14 am

As a independent who voted for Rilling. Here’s an idea, how about getting a nominee that’s been in Norwalk for more than 10 minutes? How about getting a candidate that doesn’t bad mouth my city of 74 years from the private beach in Rowayton. It’s not apathy. It’s lifelong Norwalkers sick and tired of newcomers that complain, whine and berate our great city and it’s lifelong residents. We have survived hurricanes,blizzards,floods and General Tryon and the British army. We have been here since 1640. So if these newcomers don’t like the taxes,schools or way we do things.They can pack up their mini vans go back to whatever hilly billy hick towns they came from.

Kevin Smith November 7, 2019 at 7:45 pm

Sadly voter apathy is not unique to our fair town.
I always vote even in the “off year elections” (BTW NOT a real thing) because I have strong opinions and my right to voice them hinges on my fulfilling my Civic duty to participate in the electoral process.
FYI I did vote Democratic but that was more a repudiation of what’s happening in the GOP on a national level.
Furthermore when Dick Moccia was Mayor I can’t say I thought things were any better.

GK November 7, 2019 at 8:00 pm

I’ve been a longtime reader of this website, but have never felt the need to create an account until I saw this post, and my corresponding want to rebut.

First, Mr. Kahmann, I’m sure you understand how lucky we both are to live in a Nation where an independent news source such as NoN is allowed to exist. We both are free to have our opinion, and that should remain a cherished right as American citizens.

Having said that, I will take umbrage at your blanket comments about Independent (technically ‘Unaffiliated’) voters in our City, myself being one of them. I was born in Norwalk. When I was 18, more decades ago than I care to admit, I registered as an Unaffiliated voter, choosing not to paint myself into the ‘us or them’ mindset that is a pox on our nation in my opinion.

Since that time I have voted for Republicans, and I have voted for Democrats. Whenever possible, I voted for Third Party candidates, followed by voting against incumbents, just to try to shake up the status quo. I have never missed voting since I was legally allowed to do so. Your blanket comment that “Independents stayed home” is wholly inaccurate in my case, and I assume that is true for many other patriotic citizens of our community that refuse to be defined by a political dogma. To reiterate, I have NEVER missed voting since I registered.

Here’s what you’re not going to like to read, and as a fellow American you are free to disagree with my opinion: this year, I voted against any Republican (or candidate that pretended not to be one but was still on the top of their ballot) for one reason only – the cancer at the top of the Republican Party that is the Trump Administration.

David Bayne November 8, 2019 at 9:44 am

Those who thought that voting against your local Republican (or Republican endorsed) candidates was somehow a repudiation of Donald Trump are sadly mistaken. Lisa Brinton has about as much to do with Donald Trump as a pile of socks.

Don’t confuse local and national politics. Do what is best for Norwalk. Listen to the candidates and make your decisions based on their ideas, not the letter in front of their name and not on some other politician they have zero to do with, will never meet, and will never interact with in any way. You are not teaching Trump a lesson by voting against a politician he’s never heard of in a city he cares nothing about. To think you are is foolish.

GK November 8, 2019 at 5:28 pm

Ah. As with the original poster, Mr. Bayne, thank you for explaining to me how my voting decision was incorrect. Again, we are fortunate to live in a country where divergent views are free to be both aired and voted upon.

But if you will allow me to further my argument, let’s run with your opinion about Local vs. National elections being separate entities. I will start with the most local subject a citizen can talk about – what I pay in taxes. Under the Republican tax plan approved by the Trump Administration, my Federal Tax bill has increased by about 300%. Why would I, as an Unaffiliated voter, want anyone in office who is associated with this party?

I agree with your statement that the current Administration ‘cares nothing about’ our city. My tax bill proves it. But I’m going to have to disagree with who you define as foolish, though.

To all readers of this site, please continue to vote. Our Country depends on it.

It's about judgment November 13, 2019 at 6:32 pm

Anyone running for public office, even as local as Mayor of Norwalk, who chooses to be in the same political party as Donald Trump, Lindsey Graham and Mitch McConnell, just to name a few, doesn’t have the good judgment to be Mayor in my opinion and I voted according a week ago Tuesday.