Kvetch about flooding, retire your flag and/or get a dog license

NORWALK, Conn. – Some Norwalk announcements for you:

  • Flooding ‘listening session and forum’ set for Tuesday
  • Collecting flags to retire
  • Dog license renewals due in June

Flooding complaints wanted

A “special Public Forum and Listening Session on flooding in Norwalk” is scheduled for 6 p.m. tomorrow, Tuesday May 28, in the City Hall community room, a press release from Norwalk Communications Manager Joshua Morgan said. City Hall is located at 125 East Ave.

“The public is invited to learn more about the initiatives the City has taken to address flooding and hear about the latest schedule of activities. This special session also provides residents an opportunity to express their opinions and concerns about flooding in the Norwalk before the City embarks on the next Storm Drainage System Evaluation,” the release said.

“A partnership between residents and the City is the best way we will be able to address flooding promptly. We need their help identifying issues. I hope the public will join us at this special forum and let their voices be heard,” Mayor Harry Rilling is quoted as saying. “These problems cannot be solved overnight, and we are doing everything we can to address the causes of flooding in Norwalk proactively. We take these issues seriously and welcome feedback from the public.”

If you can’t make it, fear not: the meeting will be videotaped and posted on the City’s website, the release said. It will also be replayed on Government Access Channel 79, which is available to Altice cable subscribers.

“Residents are asked to report flooding and drainage problems to the Norwalk Customer Service Center. They can be reached via phone at (203) 854-3200 or email at [email protected] Residents can also use the Customer Service Click & Request smartphone app (available on iOS and Android) or an online portal (bit.ly/NorwalkCAR) to submit a request,” the press release said.



Wood and Lavielle collecting American flags ‘in need of retirement’

State Rep. Terri Wood (R-141) is leading two flag drives, one in Darien and one in Norwalk, with the assistance of State Rep. Gail Lavielle (R-143), a press release said.

Constituents can drop off worn and damaged American Flags to be properly and honorably disposed of, from tomorrow, Tuesday May 28, to June 13, in drop-off boxes located at:

Darien Library
1441 Post Road


VFW Post #6933
205 Noroton Ave.


Darien Town Hall
2 Renshaw Road


Rowayton Library
33 Highland Ave.


Rowayton Hardware
144 Rowayton Ave.


American Legion Post 12
60 County St.


“According to the U.S. Flag Code, when the American flag is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, it should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by a controlled burning ceremony,” the release said.

For questions, call Wood and Lavielle’s office at (800) 842-1423.


It’s dog license time

Got a woofer? It’s time to get him or her a new dog license.

The City issued nearly 2,700 dog licenses last year and all of them need to be renewed now, a press release said. Any new dogs more than six months old or currently unlicensed must also register.

The 2019 dog licenses will be available in the Norwalk Town Clerk’s office beginning June 3. You could also get one Sunday, June 2, at the annual rabies vaccination clinic.

“All currently registered dog owners will be receiving renewal notices in the mail,” the release said.

The release said:

“Dog licenses are valid for one year, and cost $8 for neutered/spayed dogs and $19 for unneutered/unspayed dogs. In July, the fees increase by $1, and each month thereafter, another $1 is added to the original fee. Residents can purchase licenses during regular businesses hours, Monday – Wednesday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 7 p.m., and Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Renewals may also be mailed in to the Town Clerk’s office located at 125 East Avenue, Room 102, Norwalk, CT 06851. Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

“Per Connecticut State Statute 22-349 all dogs must be licensed with the City. Owners of unlicensed dogs could be subject to a $75 fine.

“If expired, a current rabies certificate signed by a veterinarian must be presented to the office to comply with state law. If a dog has not been registered before, a neutering or spaying certificate must also be given when registering.

“Those who need to have their dog or cat vaccinated are invited to the Annual Rabies Vaccination Clinic sponsored by the Connecticut Veterinary Medical Association, the Norwalk Town Clerk’s Office and Norwalk Animal Control Division. This event is open to Norwalk residents and non-residents and is scheduled to take place rain or shine on Sunday, June 2, from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. at 13 South Smith Street, Norwalk, CT 06855. Norwalk residents may also purchase 2019-2020 Dog Licenses on this date.

“The vaccination shot is available to all dogs or cats for $20 per shot. Payment is cash only. All dogs must be leashed and all cats must be in carriers. For more information please call Norwalk Animal Control at 203-854-3240 or the Norwalk Town Clerk’s Office at 203-854-7747.”

One comment

itsjustme8 May 28, 2019 at 7:47 am

It should be noted that the American Legion on County Street has a year round drop box for used American flags

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>