Storm wreaks havoc with Norwalk; Oyster Fest reopens Sunday

A tree knocked down by Saturday afternoon''s storm pulled down wires and blocked Soundview Avenue.
A tree knocked down by Saturday afternoon”s storm pulled down wires and blocked Soundview Avenue.


Update 1:45 a.m.: The Oyster Fest sent out a revised statement regarding Sunday’s event.; reported with videos at 1:10 a.m.

NORWALK, Conn. – An apparent line storm ripped through Norwalk late this afternoon, bringing brief but violent winds and rain, knocking down tents at the Oyster Festival, trees across the city and killing power to more than 2,200 people. There were 364 residents still without power as of 1:45 a.m., according to the CL&P website.

The Oyster Festival Committee issued this statement Saturday night:

The Norwalk Oyster Festival will open its gates at 11 a.m. for festivities tomorrow. We want to thank our tireless vendors and volunteers who worked so hard today and through the night to get everything ready for our opening tomorrow.  Guests can use their unused tickets or receipts from Saturday for entry on Sunday.

Unfortunately, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts cannot be rescheduled for tomorrow, as the band is committed to another event. The U.S. Army Field Band will perform at 1 p.m., and Tito Puente, Jr., Orchestra will be on the main stage at 4 p.m. For a full list of events, please visit www.seaport.org. If you would like a refund for Saturday evening’s tickets, please contact us at [email protected].

Earlier, the committee issued this statement:

“After consulting with both police and fire officials about today’s weather concerns, we are regretfully cancelling the remainder of tonight’s Oyster Festival festivities for everyone’s safety. We regret any inconvenience, but public safety is our main concern. For guests who bought a ticket for tonight, we will be glad to honor today’s tickets if we reopen tomorrow. If you would like a refund for tonight’s tickets, please contact us at [email protected]. Thanks for your support and understanding.”

Firefighters battled a church steeple fire on MLK at North Main St., closing part of the road. It was not immediately clear which church was involved. Other fires were reported around the city. Toppled trees and live wires shut down man roads across the city, with crews dispatched to clean  up as soon as the dangerous weather subsided.


Leave a Reply

Recent Comments