Quantcast

Norwalk River Valley Trail topic of hearing

NORWALK, Conn. – The Norwalk River Valley Trail is expected to get a key component added with an expenditure authorized in the capital budget.

Plans for the construction of a non-vehicular, multipurpose trail between Union Park and New Canaan Avenue along the Route 7/Route 809 right-of-way are being developed, Norwalk senior engineer Mike Yeosock said. The mile-long, 12-foot wide bituminous concrete trail is in its preliminary design stage and will connect two existing pieces of the Norwalk River Valley Trail. It is expected to be completed by 2016, should the plan progress on time, Yeosock said.

The city is seeking the community’s concerns to assist in the project’s development. An informational meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. Tuesday, July 30, in the Public Works conference room at City Hall, Room 225. Representatives will be available to discuss the project beginning two hours prior to the meeting.

The project is being recommended for construction under the state Surface Transportation Program – urban funding that is administered through the Connecticut Department of Transportation. The cost is expected to be $2.9 million, based on a preliminary assessment. The Federal Highway Administration is expected to proved 80 percent of the construction cost, with the city providing the remaining 20 percent.

The project also includes a parking area and trail head on state property on Riverside Avenue. It is budgeted for the 2015-2016 capital budget.

“The design should be finished by (2015), provided all of design work (lease agreements, environmental permitting, etc.) progresses as expected. I would expect the construction to follow and be finished by 2016,” Yeosock said.

Deaf and hearing-impaired people who wish to attend the hearing can arrange for an interpreter by contacting customer service at 203-854-3200 at least five working days prior to the meeting.

For more information or to give your feedback, call Yeosock at 203-854-7844 Monday through Friday, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Comments

One response to “Norwalk River Valley Trail topic of hearing”

  1. NorwalkForLife

    I am really glad to see this project moving forward. My wife and I had the pleasure to hike the proposed route of the trail between Union Park and New Canaan avenue during an event hosted for National Trails day. We were really surprised by the hidden beauty of the river. The section of the trail would provide a fantastic recreational opportunity for the people of Norwalk and families. I am looking forward to the day when I can ride the trail by bike with my children.

Leave a Reply


Recent Comments