Once Around the City: Time to renew those beach passes

NORWALK, Conn. — A 2014 Beach/Resident Pass is required for access to the beaches, transfer station and yard debris site. The existing passes expire March 31.

Online registration is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

According to the city website:

In order to register online for a resident pass, you will need your current registration, and your vehicle must currently be taxed by the city of Norwalk and registered with the CT Department of Motor Vehicles. This includes both owned and leased vehicles. You must display your printed pass in your vehicle when parked.

If you registered your car after 10/1/2013, your car will not be on the DMV Grand List and you will not be able register for a pass online. You will have to come to the Recreation and Parks Office in City Hall, Room 129 to receive your Resident Pass.

Any resident with delinquent taxes will not be able to register for a Resident Pass until all delinquent taxes are paid. Contact the Tax Collectors office at 203-854-7731 to resolve any outstanding taxes issues.

If you are a city resident but your vehicle is leased or not registered in the City of Norwalk you will need to present your current vehicle registration at the Recreation and Parks Office in City Hall, Room 129 to obtain a resident pass from the City of Norwalk and one of the following:

  • Current lease of mortgage statement with a Norwalk address
  • Two current utility bills (phone, gas, electric, oil or water)
  • Current tax bill or property deed

The name on the vehicle registration must match the name on the lease, mortgage, utility bills, tax bills, or property deed – no exceptions will be made. If your vehicle is a company vehicle you will need to also bring a letter from the company (on company letterhead) stating that you are the sole driver of the vehicle along with your proof of Norwalk residency in order to obtain your resident pass.

Residents who don’t have access to a computer and printer or require assistance can access a computer at the Norwalk Senior Center, the Norwalk Public Libraries or at the Recreation and Parks Department in Norwalk City Hall.

Need help signing up for health care?

If you need health care coverage but are confused about your options, staff members at the Norwalk Health Department have been trained and certified to help you enroll in a health insurance plan through Access Health CT, Connecticut’s official health insurance marketplace. They can answer your questions and guide you through the process of enrolling in health coverage.

Staff members are available by appointment from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays. Assisters are fluent in English and Spanish. See the Health Department’s online flyer or call 203-854-7779 or 203-854-7776 for more information or to make an appointment.

Himes to hold Norwalk town hall meeting

Norwalkers will get a chance to add their two-cents worth to the D.C. debate as U.S. Rep. Jim Himes (D-Greenwich) will hold a town hall meeting at Norwalk Community College to hear from his constituents and answer questions.

The event is planned for 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday, March 20 in NCC’s GenRe Forum – East Campus, 188 Richards Ave.

Beethoven meets the marimba at Concert Hall

The annual Gala Concert of the INTAKE Music Organization (Instrumentally Native Taking on the Classics), is scheduled for 7 p.m. March 22 at Norwalk Concert Hall.

The concert features one-of-a-kind performances by the Norwalk Youth Symphony’s Concert Orchestra and Marimba Union Musical from Antigua, Guatemala. Beethoven’s Egmont Overture will merge with traditional works for the Guatemalan national instrument: the marimba.

Lane Closures for bridge inspections

• Tuesday, March 18: Westport-Fairfield, 9 a.m. to noon, left lane closure on I-95 North between exits 19 and 21; 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., left lane closure on I-95 South between exits 18 and 21.

• Tuesday, March 18: Norwalk, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., alternating right and left lane closures on Route 1 between Riverside Avenue and Route 7 North ramps.

• Wednesday, March 19: Fairfield, 9 a.m. to noon right lane closure on I-95 North between exits 19 and 21; 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., right lane closure on I-95 South betwee`n exits 19 and 21.



5 responses to “Once Around the City: Time to renew those beach passes”

  1. Cayman

    What ever happened to the electronic liscence plate scannong system the parks department purchased

  2. Jack R

    It works. Scans your plate as you enter the beach.

  3. Dawn

    then why do i need a pass

  4. Jack R

    For parking purposes at the beach plus for the transfer station.

  5. Mitch Adis

    So we paid $75k for scanners, pay for a gate attendant AND we still have to print out a pass? Shouldn’t the scanning make the printout obsolete? If this is correct, we could have saved time and money by keeping the old sticker approach.

    How about this for an idea – Instead of the “reminder sticker” that comes in every city tax bill, make it a beach pass/reminder sticker.

    (Editor’s note: This comment was stuck for several hours in our spam filter. This occasionally happens, and we apologize for the delay of this comment, and for others that get caught in the glitch. The filter catches hundreds of spam comments daily, and only occasionally hangs up a legit comment.)

Leave a Reply

Recent Comments