Quantcast

South Norwalk fire kills two puppies, injures adult dog

NORWALK, Conn. – Two puppies died early Saturday morning in a fire started by an electric heater meant to keep them warm in an outdoor dog crate, Norwalk firefighters say.

One adult dog escaped the burning dog crate on its own. Another adult dog was taken to West Cedar Street Animal Hospital for treatment.

The fire at 18 Belle Ave. in South Norwalk was reported at 3:04 a.m., Deputy Fire Chief Gino Gatto said. Firefighters from Engine 5 arrived and found a fence outside the home on fire. Then they noticed Norwalk Police officers working to free the pit bulls from a crate next to the fence.

The dogs’ owners had put an electric heater on the dog’s crate and covered it with a tarp, Lt. Bill Firisin said. “Obviously an electric heater covered with combustible materials, only thing they can do is catch fire,” he said. “They were concerned about the animals getting cold. They realized the mistake they made.”

The fire was quickly extinguished.

An adult male dog ran away. Firisin thought the female dog had tried to protect the puppies. He didn’t know what condition she was in late Saturday.

Workers at the West Cedar Street Animal Hospital did not return a phone call asking for information.

Comments

Leave a Reply


Recent Comments